Can you believe that 2017 is already coming to an end?!
This year seemed to fly by! Like any year that passes, it’s always fun to reflect on the positive changes that happened over the past 365 days. This past year, Modern Talent gained some great new relationships and has continued to expand, hiring talented Promotional Models, Trade Show Models, Brand Ambassadors, and Wine Professionals in several other states. We are looking forward to our Models having the opportunity to promote Jim Beam during the upcoming Super Bowl in Minneapolis, as well as the other amazing things that will continue to happen in 2018!
I’m sure that at some point you’ve heard someone excitedly claim “new year new me!” and you may have done a slight mental eye roll. That common phrase seems a little dramatic, because we don’t change who we are as a person just because of a new calendar year. However, the beginning of a new calendar year is the best time to set new goals, both in your professional life and your personal life as well.
Goal setting is important because it gives you time to really think about what you want your future to look like. No matter what your profession is, whether you are a Brand Ambassador for the Modern Talent team, a professional athlete, or a college student, setting goals gives you long-term vision and short-term motivation to help you achieve those goals. When setting goals, write them down somewhere that you will be able to see on a daily basis to remind you to keep working hard. If you have New Year’s goals but don’t take the time to write them down, it’s likely you’ll forget about them by March.
An important strategy to consider when setting new goals is to follow the SMART model. This means setting goals that are:
1. Specific – Setting specific goals will give you a clear vision of what you’d like to accomplish, without any grey area. Making your goal specific will make you more motivated!
2. Measurable – Having a goal that is measurable will make it easy to keep track of your personal progress, and notice your ongoing results.
Example: If your goal is to have higher sales at your wine or liquor tastings, write down the specific number of bottles you are aiming to sell before going into each tasting. Keep track of your goal by making a tally on a piece of paper for each sale while you’re sampling!
3. Attainable – Why set goals that you know will be impossible to achieve? That defeats the purpose of goal-setting. Setting an achievable goal should be something that stretches your abilities, but still remains possible.
4. Relevant – To keep yourself motivated to meet your goals, decide to do something that truly matters to you and makes sense for your lifestyle and/or career.
5. Time-bound – Every goal needs a deadline so that you have something to work toward. Whether you want to accomplish your goal a week from now, six months from now, or a year from now, mark your calendar to remind yourself of where you are at for deadlines.
Goal setting is the best habit you can have in order to continue being successful in your professional and personal life. Goals give you something to focus on, and provides a concrete foundation for your drive. They should make you feel ambitious for achievement, and excited to improve yourself. Cheers to 2018!